Southern California Disasters Visited
Following four of my father's last five visits to Pasadena from
Jackson, Michigan, an earthquake or aftershock occurred shortly after
his return home. That's quite a set of coincidences! The last such
coincidence occurred in January 1994, and he passed away on May 1. Between
May 1 and mid-August 1998 there hasn't been a sizable earthquake in Southern
California. Perhaps he wanted me to move back to Michigan more than
I cared to realize.
- He departed Pasadena Monday, June 10, 1991, and the Sierra
Madre quake, measuring 6.0, hit June 28.
- He and new wife Rosalie departed Pasadena on Monday, May 25,
1992, and two quakes, the Landers and the Joshua Tree, measuring
6.6 and 7.5, respectively, hit the morning of June 28.
- He departed Pasadena November 16, 1992, and an aftershock
of the Landers quake, measuring 5.4, hit November 27.
- Dad departed Pasadena on Sunday, December 26, 1993, and less
than a month later the Northridge quake hit, measuring 6.8.
- We didn't have a sizable quake after Dad and Rosalie's September
1993 visit, though we did have the fires of autumn (October).
The following, personal experience accounts are presented in Adobe®
Acrobat® PDF format. If you do not have the freeware
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader installed on your system, Click here.
Last modified: Tuesday May 1, 2007